Drone License 101: Most Frequently Asked Questions

part 107 license Jan 04, 2019


If you’ve landed on this page, you are probably interested in gaining some additional insight into the process of acquiring your Drone License (Part 107 Certification). If so, you’ve landed in the right place! We will be discussing everything from Registering Your Drone to Frequently Asked Questions we get asked daily about taking the Part 107 Test and acquiring your Drone License.

Registering Your Drone:

Friendly Reminder: You must have the FAA registration certificate in your possession when flying, and are required to show it to any federal, state, or local law enforcement officer. Additionally, if you are selling your drone be sure to unregister the aircraft within your FAA DroneZone Account.

The first thing you will want to do is visit https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/register

  1. Visit https://faadronezone.faa.gov/#/register
  2. Create an account by providing your email and setting up a password
  3. Register as an individual or business
  4. Once you receive your unique registration number, make sure to print out a label and attach it to your drone where it is easily accessible.

UAV’s flown not as model aircraft must be registered individually by the owner. Each registration is only $5, so it will not break the bank to be an aerial pilot.

Let’s dive into some of the most frequently asked questions surrounding the FAA’s Remote Pilot Certificate. Let’s start with a question that I get asked on a daily basis by students throughout the United States. 

1. Why do I need a Part 107 Drone License?

The Federal Aviation Administration requires those interested in Flying Drones Commercially to pass the Part 107 Exam. You do not need a part 107 License to fly drones recreationally. However, those interested in acquiring a Part 107 Certification must demonstrate knowledge through a 60 question multiple-choice test administered by the FAA.


2. How long does it take to study for the Aeronautical Knowledge Test?

Students are encouraged to go through the Altitude Part 107 Test Prep course at his/her own speed, however, the FAA estimates that the average time it takes to study the material needed to pass the test is around 15- 20 hours of studying.

3. Am I eligible to acquire a Remote Pilot Certificate to operate commercially?

If you are over the age of 16 you are eligible to acquire your Drone License. Additionally, you must be able to read, speak, write, and understand English. The FAA just wants to ensure that you are both physically and mentally capable of operating a small UAS. 

To recap, if you are over the age of 16, able to understand English, and are mentally capable of passing the 60 question exam, then you are more than eligible to take the Part 107 Exam and receive your Drone license. 

Be sure to take a look at our Part 107 Test Prep Course to ensure you are prepared!

4. How much does the Part 107 Exam cost?

The Part 107 Exam is $150, and you pay online or over the phone when you schedule your test day at an FAA Approved Testing Center.


5. How often will I have to take the Aeronautical Knowledge Test

Certificate holders must pass a recurrent knowledge test every two years. The good news is, our Part 107 Test Prep gives you lifetime access to the course, so you don’t have to worry about purchasing a test prep course every 2 years.


6. What type of operations are allowed with a Remote Pilot Certificate?

There are a variety of different commercial applications covered in Part 107, including Public-Private Partnerships, Research Projects, Photography, Aerial Surveying & Inspection, Professional Sports Photography among a variety of other non-recreational projects. 

7. Where can I fly?

The FAA has done a great job in establishing airspace requirements and restrictions that are to be followed when flying in the National Airspace. There are a variety of No-Drone Zones in restricted airspace that protect areas like National Parks, Government Facilities and flying directly over people. With a Part 107 Drone License, you will now have the skills to communicate with the FAA and Air Traffic Control to allow yourself more freedom when flying your drone in questionable airspaces.


8. How do I apply for a Waiver to the requirements of the Part 107 Rule?

Waivers are special permissions the FAA issues to authorize certain types of UAS operations not covered under the Part 107 rule. Learn more about applying for waivers to part 107.


9. Will I still need a COA to fly under the Part 107 rule?

If you already have a Certificate of Waiver or Authorization (COA), you can continue to fly under those COA requirements until it expires. Section 333 exemption holders may operate under the terms of their exemptions and COAs until they expire. Public aircraft operators such as law enforcement agencies, state or local governments, or public universities may continue to operate under the terms of their COAs.

If you don't already have a Section 333 exemption and associated COA, and you are not conducting a public aircraft operation, you probably don't need one now that Part 107 is out. Civil UAS operations flown under the new rules do not require the UAS operator to get a COA.


10. Once I submit my waiver request, how long before the FAA makes a decision? And how will I be notified?

Waiver processing times will vary depending on the complexity of the request. We encourage applicants to submit waiver requests well in advance of when they need a waiver – 90 days is strongly encouraged. Applicants will be notified via email about the outcome of their waiver processing.

This has been the Top 10 Most frequently asked questions surrounding the Part 107 Certification. Sign up for our Test Prep Course today at altitudepart107.com to get started making money flying drones today!

‍The Ultimate Review

Until August 29, 2016 the rules and regulations in the U.S. were mostly unstructured in terms of the legality of flying UAV’s. Since then, the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) has made many strides in making flying drones legal and far safer.

The Altitude University Online Part 107 Course is a test prep course aimed to help drone enthusiasts pass the exam and acquire their FAA Remote Pilot's Certificate (better known as Part 107 License) that will allow you to legally make money flying drones. 

Read the full review...


The program has been created by Brandon Trentalange who is one of the most popular entrepreneurs in the drone industry. He has over 6+ years of experience flying drones as a professional drone pilot, has consulted top corporations like NASA, Jet Propulsion Laboratory and Syngenta, and helped over 2,000+ drone operators start a career in the industry.



50% Complete

Altitude University Newsletter

Be the first to know about Industry Insights, Innovations, Free Piloting Resources, and Discounts to Altitude Products!